Magnets for Pets!







This weekend we are having a lot of company at our house and so Gram and I decided I would let her have a turn at writing an article without my help. I hope you enjoy it!

What started out as a casual after dinner conversation with some friends about the benefits of magnets for humans peaked my interest in to finding out the use of magnets for pets.

Magnets have been in use for thousands of years. The earth has a natural magnetic field and as humans we require this magnetic field to function normally. These magnetic fields make it easier for your body to do what it does and also helps your cells to work more efficiently.

Magnets have been used over the years to treat general fatigue, pain, to heal broken bones more quickly, and to help circulatory problems. This natural energy helps to release endorphins into our blood stream, which helps to kill pain.

The Space Program (NASA) used rats in many experiments in space and the rats that were not fitted with a magnetic field perished, and those that were, survived.

In recent years research has been done to see if the use of magnets can be beneficial to our pets. The answer, of course, is an astounding “yes.” Magnetic pet therapy is making use of one of the universe’s most natural force. It is non-invasive, does not have any side effects, is easy to use, offers pain relief and is relatively inexpensive.

In 1976 Dr. Kyoichi Nakagawa, the founder of modern day magnetic health research, published in the Japan Medical Journal, an article claiming that the strength of the earth’s natural magnetic field has decreased considerably and is being further reduced by steel buildings, cars, high voltage power lines and other manmade electrical fields. As a result people and animals are suffering from such symptoms as fatigue, aches and pains, muscle cramps and insomnia, which he termed “magnetic field deficiency syndrome.” He went on to further state that these symptoms could be alleviated by the external application of magnets to the body.

How does a magnet work and what is it made of?

Magnets are made of a combination of materials such as iron, cobalt, nickel, ceramic, aluminum and neodymium. They come in bars, strips and even beads. They are magnetized by placing magnets near a large coil of wire that has a great deal of direct electrical current being applied to it in brief pulsating movements.

There are two types of permanent magnets, both of which are causing researchers and therapists to argue among themselves as to which is the best to use.

The unipolar magnet is made up of bars or beads and has the north pole on one side and the south pole on the other side. The north pole should be facing the body and the south pole away from the body (the magnets are marked accordingly) when in use.

The bipolar magnet, which is the newest one to be used, is made in long strips and cut to specific sizes with the north and south poles lying parallel to each other or in concentric circles. Both the north and south poles face the body of the person or animal when using a bipolar magnet.

There is also another magnetic field, which is gaining use in the equine field. It is pulsed electromagnetic field therapy systems (PEME). It is a battery powered, portable device that generates a pulsating electromagnetic field that is used to treat chronic leg and neck injuries in horses and to do maintenance therapy on musculoskeletal conditions on horses.

The strength of a magnet is measured by its gauss, a measurement of the density of magnetic lines of force.

Therapeutic magnets range from 200 to 3,000 gauss. The higher the magnetic number the more powerful the magnet. The larger the animal is (horse) the larger the strength. For most pets 1000 gauss or less is normal.

Why should you use magnets on your pets?

Since magnets are so great in releasing the endorphins that relieve pain, magnets can be used for just about all degenerative pet diseases such as hip dysplasia, rheumatoid arthritis, vertebra disorders, sprains, lameness, tendonitis and more.

Dr. Michael Strazza wrote in the 1996 edition of the Journal of the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association that the use of magnets in the bandages of dogs with simple fractures healed 40 to 50 percent faster. This allowed the dogs to be on their feet sooner. He also was able to get a 60 to70 percent positive response when treating dogs with degenerative diseases with magnets.

Researchers have found through many studies that toxins in the body cause many degenerative diseases.

Where are our pets getting these toxins?

From the daily use of products found in our cupboards that we do not even think about.

Our pets spend most, if not all their time on the floor or in our yards.

What is it that we seem to be doing most of the time?

Cleaning and spraying. The chemicals in our cleaners, waxes, polishes and garden products are full of toxins.

We as adults absorb some of these toxins into our bodies, but our pets laying in constant contact with these things we use, for the most part get an overdose. They are always licking and cleaning themselves. Formaldehyde is found in just about everything we use. It is a deadly gas and is found in drapes, couches, chairs, bedding, carpets, wood products and much more. It is no wonder our pets get sick and have degenerative problems.

Magnets can be used to treat pets with arthritis, back pain, after orthopedic surgery, to improve performance levels for dogs in agility programs, obedience programs and show dogs that have to hold a position for long periods of time.

Magnets can help in the recovery of extreme exercise by helping muscles to recover more quickly.

Magnets can be used to keep the musculoskeletal system healthy and in good working order. Consider magnets as preventive medicine

Magnets however, should not be used on fresh wounds, pregnant dogs, dogs with internal bleeding and certainly not on dogs with metal screws or metal plate implants.

I mentioned earlier that that there were no known side effects and that is true. However, when you first start using a magnet on your pet or yourself, there may be for a short period of time an adverse reaction. You or your pet may feel worse instead of better.

It is a type of detox as the magnetic fields are stirring up all those nasty toxins within the body. It is recommended that you and/or your pet drink a lot of water during that time to help flush out your system.

The secret here is to stay with it, as within a few days you will see great improvement either in yourself or your pet.

Magnets can also be used in conjunction with other types of treatment such as acupuncture, herbs, massage and anything else where the main goal is to alleviate pain and discomfort.

Magnets are believed to accelerate the healing process by increasing the blood flow to the capillaries that bring nutrients and oxygen to the injured areas, remove toxins, help repair tissues and help reduce pain.

As with all things, do not “self doctor” your pet, always consult your veterinarian or pet health care provider before attempting to try something new.

How do you keep your pet magnetized?

There are many products on the market for pets (dogs and cats.) Magnetic collars are one place to start, there are magnetic bed for pets, actual rug wraps you can wrap your pet up in, special wraps designed for shoulders, hips, knees, all designed to be flexible and made with adjustable Velcro closings. If all else fails you can hold your pet and hold the magnet in place for 10 to 20 minutes a day until the inflammation or pain subsides.

There is no excuse for you or your pet to remain in pain if a magnet can help.




Drs. Foster and Smith Inc.